Building Your Brand as a Technical Expert or Leader - Jo Miller
From Anita Borg Institute Wiki
Workshop Part 1: Building Your Brand as a Technical Expert or Leader
Wednesday, November 9th 1:00-5:00pm Convention Center – Portland Ballroom
RSVP for this event through GHC2011 Conference Registration
What does it take to establish a reputation as a technical expert or leader?
In this workshop, led by Jo Miller, CEO of Women’s Leadership Coaching, discover how to identify your ideal career niche, turn it into a compelling brand statement, and cultivate a strong, positive reputation for yourself as a technical expert or leader. Learn how to attract high-profile assignments and roles that make your expertise visible, while breaking free from stereotypical perceptions that could limit your career opportunities.
You will learn:
• The three essential elements that make a great personal brand
• Five steps to making your brand and accomplishments visible
• Criteria for attracting assignments that build your profile
• Ways to effectively promote yourself and your accomplishments, without bragging
• How to describe your career goals to your management and gain their endorsement and support.
• Speed networking, to practice using your brand.
1:00 – 2:15 Workshop Part I: Building Your Brand
• The essential elements of a great personal brand
• Identifying your ideal career niche
• Creating your brand statement
Profiles of Success: Technical Women Who Brand Themselves Well
* Judy Priest, Distinguished Engineer, Cisco Systems, Inc * Avni Khatri, Web Applications Architect, Massachusetts General Hospital * Nehal Mehta, Director QA, NetApp * Kiara L. Williams, Event Program Manager, Microsoft Services
About Jo Miller
Jo Miller is CEO of Women’s Leadership Coaching Inc. Jo has a passion for helping women develop their leadership skills, confidence and presence, and specializes in helping women break into leadership in industries that have been traditionally considered ‘a man’s world’, such as technology, finance and energy.
Since 1998 Jo has developed and implemented coaching programs that have benefited women worldwide. Jo created the Women’s Leadership Coaching Inc leadership coaching system, and has logged many thousands of hours coaching women who are in executive and management positions, or aspire to be.
She has traveled widely in Europe and the US to facilitate leadership development programs for women’s initiatives in Fortune 1,000 companies, including Oracle Women in Leadership, Nortel Women’s Business Council, National Semiconductor’s Women @ National, UBS Women’s Leadership Conference, and many more.
She was named one of Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal’s 40 people to watch under the age of 40 in 2006, and one of Silicon Valley’s Women of Influence in 2008.
Blog and Resource Links
Valerie Fenwick's Blog: http://bubbva.blogspot.com/2011/11/ghc-workshop-building-your-brand-as.html